Saturday, May 5, 2007

MFC - Melly's Fried Chicken















A favorite in our home, oven fried chicken has become a common meal.

I made this up one day, on the fly. I didn't have any breadcrumbs or cornflakes (which I saw in a recipe once). I rustled through my cupboards and found some cornmeal, which I thought, might be an interesting change. It turned out to be the best fried chicken I have ever had!

CORNMEAL OVEN FRIED CHICKEN

1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
1 tbsp freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 tbsp salt

Place a large cast iron pan in the oven and preheat to 400F.

Mix ingredients together in a large bowl. Coat chicken (thighs and/or drumsticks, best with the skin and bones) with mixture and shake off excess.

When oven has heated up, drizzle 3 tbsp of olive oil into the pan and place in chicken.

When it is golden brown on the bottom, flip and brown the other side. You can flip them twice more to brown the sides of the drumsticks. Remove from oven once all sides are golden brown and cooked through, about 30-45 min.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mel,

Loving your recipe blog! I'm gonna have to try some of these.

Jin